To make the PDF index from the frame maker document...
These are the notes I used to make sure I went through every step each
time I changed the FrameMaker source from which the program.pdf index file
on the CD-ROM file was generated. Since this file was eventually being duplicated
hundreds of times, and since we kept on changing the program (requiring
changes in the file), I wanted to make the process as smooth as possible.
These comments apply specifically to the program.pdf file on the CD-ROM
for the IEEE 1997 Mohonk Audio Workshop (WASPAA'97). However, even thought
that file will never be generated again, it might be useful to know what
steps I found necessary.
- Print to PS file from Frame maker (selecting "generate acrobat
data"). Seems like you have to use LW7; something goes wrong when
you do LW8
[LW8.4.3 under MacOS8 seems fine, although Fetch managed to truncate the
- Transfer the PS file to Unix.
- Because it was LW7, it included the font definitions. Distiller hates
these - you have to edit them out. There are four blocks between %%BeginFont
adn %%EndFont. You must also remove the "bu fc" line that occurs
directly after the %%EndFont line.
[Not needed for LW8. My "save to file" options were level 1/ascii/no
- Distill it
- Open the new program.pdf in acroexch
- Using the "links" tool, change the link under the "SEARCH"
button on the front page from being a jump to the committee page to being
"Execute the Tools/Search/Query menu item".
- drag the "Workshop Committee" page to the bottom of the bookmarks
- Combine the bookmark subitems into a single set for each morning/afternoon/evening
- Remove the dates from the bookmark headings (except sunday)
- Check that the links to external documents work
- Check that the navigation buttons work
- Look at pages (esp. author index) with the links tool on to see that
links are in the right places
- There seems to be a bug where the 'last' link from one page is repeated
on the next page. Mostly this is the "next page" arrow and it
doesn't matter. But sometimes it's weird.
- Use File/Document Info/General to give a nice title and keywords
- Use File/Document/Open to select Initial View: Bookmarks
- Use File/Document to enter a base URL (icsi/waspaa97)
- When in place, point it to the index in File/Doc/Index
- I had to go in and fix up the stupid relative path to this in he "binary"
afterwards (just changed the token containing "index.pdx" to
have no preceding path components. But using the "browse" button
to select the absolute path to the index seems to get it right).
- Save As.../ with Optimize